Thursday, March 4, 2010

Leftover Thursday Bento

I had a lunch meeting. No Obento for me, but for my husband.


  • Japanese steamed rice with Frikake topping (two kinds)
  • Pasta with vegetable tomato sauce
  • Steamed cauliflower
  • Based Kabocha squash

I was checking some cooking books (Obento cook books) in Japanese Amazon website. It appears that preparing Okazu (main and side dishes for Obento) night before or even for an entire work week has been introduced as "cost effective" and "easy to pack Obento boxes in the morning". Well, that's what I have been doing...yay, I was doing something right and very Japanese, I guess. I steam veggies (a whole head of cauliflower and broccoli, for example) and bake sweet potatoes and squash on weekends.
According to these books, you prepare dishes that last for a week (and of course, they have to taste good for several days, too), prepare one or two dishes per day - in the end, you have a variety of dishes to choose from for your everyday Obento. I agree. I also apply this way of cooking for my dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment